SEO analyzer - What is an SEO analysis and how does it work?
A website needs to rank well on SERP, be fast, and not have major usability issues. It is also equally significant for a business to understand the competitive landscape and maximize site traffic. And the remedy for all this is SEO. Search engine optimization (SEO) involves putting changes and improving your website to make it more visible to search engines and rank higher.
But improving SEO is not a simple process. Mastering SEO can be tricky, especially for a beginner. First, you need to develop a strategy for SEO. And the first step in building an SEO strategy is conducting an SEO analysis. As a starting point, this analysis will give you the present status report of your website, and from there, you can plan out your SEO strategy.
Along with analyzing your website, analyzing competitors' websites is also crucial. It will assist you in spotting out the exact elements that make your competitors' web pages more pertinent and trustworthy than yours.
- What is an SEO analysis?
- How does an SEO analysis work?
- What SEO analytics isn't?
- Why is SEO analysis important?
- How to analyze website SEO?
- How to perform an SEO analysis?
- How to analyze on-page SEO
- Top 5 SEO evaluation tools
- Why use an SEO analyzer tool?
What is an SEO analysis?
SEO analysis involves closely inspecting a site to gain a better comprehension of site optimization. It highlights all the features on the website that can be aimed to boost the ranking potential in search engine results pages (SERPs). It first checks the website and determines areas that can be optimized.
It assists in discovering the various working aspects of SEO strategy and the hurdles preventing the up-gradation of site ranking. The higher the page ranks on the SERP, the more traffic will come in.
SEO analysis, also referred to as SEO audit, reveals complete details like where you are bringing your website traffic, which keywords you're ranking for, how you are carrying out your content strategy, who your competitors are, where and how your competitors are positioning themselves, how you are performing for both on and off-page SEO factors. All such data collected in the analysis will paint a detailed picture of shortfalls and opportunities available.
How does an SEO analysis work?
A comprehensive SEO analysis involves an in-depth review of the website's content, code, structure, and offsite authority. Then it gives an SEO "score." The SEO analysis considers this score to compare your web presence to that of your top competitors. There are more than 200 factors that affect a page's search rankings. SEO analytics helps to act on the data to increase engaged organic traffic. This necessitates visualization and reporting, analysis, task planning, execution.
What SEO analytics isn't?
It is noted that SEO analytics do not include keyword research and other market research. Keyword research includes studying keywords used by users to search and look at the ranking positions of the published content. SEO analytics uses the data of the website itself and not users' data.
Why is SEO analysis important?
An SEO analysis insights help to identify the areas where you can improve your site's content. It highlights the technical aspects to deliver a better user experience and reveals search engines' context between your website content and the search query users use. As a result, it expands the website reach, drives more traffic, helps in making informed decisions, and hits business objectives.
An effective SEO analytics process enables to:
- Be aware of what is going on
- Be aware of why it is going on
- Identifies gaps and opportunities
- Suggest how to act on the insights
- Estimates the likely results of the proposed actions
How to analyze website SEO?
The SEO analysis results help identify the areas that need improvement and make them more appealing for the search engines. In addition, it helps to identify where to get started with the optimization process.
How to perform an SEO analysis?
The steps involved while performing an SEO analysis:
Check website's visibility on SERP
To begin with, the SEO analysis tries to find out its average position in the SERP and how many website pages are ranked in the search engine. Then, it will provide a better understanding of the overall visibility of the site on search engines.
Check URLs and meta descriptions of the topic
Try to shorten down the URLs to about four to five words. Edit and optimize the long and irrelevant URLs. It will help the search engine bots to understand the content of the page better. Make sure that the meta descriptions of the topic include primary and secondary keywords and properly sum up the page's content.
Analyze titles and headings of the web pages
Make sure that the titles of the web pages are attention-seekers and attract the users to click on them. Also, ensure that both the titles and headings of the content use the correct SEO keywords.
Note that high search volume keywords are often difficult to rank in search. So better to look for less competitive long-tail keywords. Such keywords will boost the chances of showing up on the initial page of a SERP.
Analyze website content
Content is the king and plays a significant role in the SEO of the website. Make sure there is no duplicate content on the site. Also, the content on the site should be original, relevant, high quality, and error-free.
Inbound links or backlinks indicate your website's trustworthiness to search engines and ultimately boost the SEO ranking of the site or web page.
So it is very important to analyze the incoming links of the website. It will check the linking sites and give you a better awareness of what you require to do to boost the search rankings.
Check internal links
Internal linking helps visitors navigate to different pages of the same website and is a great SEO tactic to boost site rankings in search engines. So always try to add internal links to other relevant old web pages on the site.
Investigate broken links
Broken links impact SEO negatively by affecting the user experience. Make sure to check out the broken links on the website, if any. Fix the broken links by ensuring correct spelling. You can also complete a 301 redirect to a different yet relevant URL.
Analyze spam score
Lots of incoming links from low-authority websites will increase the spam score of your website. Hence, regularly check the incoming links and get rid of any "bad" inbound links.
Note that the search engine bots can't crawl the images on the sites. So make sure to optimize the available images on the site with proper alt text. The text should accurately describe the appearance and function of the images.
Also, make sure to compress the images to reduce their size. It will help to improve page load speed and will make your site faster.
Check page speed
The loading speed of the site's web page influences the overall user experience and the website's SEO. Therefore, consistently analyze the load speed of the website and make sure that it runs efficiently. For page load speed tests, you can use Google's PageSpeed Insights tool.
How to analyze on-page SEO
On-page SEO analysis involves many factors for the virtuous optimization of your site. Let us now discuss the various elements involved in:
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
What is on-page SEO?
On-page SEO is optimizing a web page to rank higher on SERP (search engine results pages). It includes optimizing each item, the page content, the page architecture, and the HTML source code.
On-page optimization is very significant to raise a site's ability to be found through organic search. Hence it is important to analyze it and adapt it to fit the latest on-page SEO trends.
The following on-page SEO checklist will help you in optimizing a single page of content correctly.
- Research top-performing keywords pertinent to the subject of your content, not too competitive and are often searched by your target audience.
- Create a content plan and match the content to the keyword search intent.
- Choose your keyword and assign it to one page of your content. Similarly, start assigning a target keyword to every web page of the site.
- Add outbound links and internal links in targeted anchor text.
- Look for more related keywords and LSI keywords to add to the web content. Make sure to not duplicate the content by assigning the main keyword to more than one page.
- Write a title with the main keyword and include the title in the H1 Tag.
- Use all similar keywords at least once in every paragraph. A good keyword density is to use keywords two to three times per 100 words.
- Add a well-optimized meta description about your content to help search engines to understand the content.
- Write relevant, easy to understand, and high-quality content with a focus on readers.
- Proofread your content and maintain professionalism and authority on your content topics.
- Add at least 2 to three images and add main keywords to Alt Text. Format images to an appropriate size to speed up load times.
- Write a URL with the master keyword.
What is off-page SEO?
Off-page SEO consists of SEO activities done outside the website to boost SERPs. It includes elements like internal and external link building, guest blogging, etc. Adding off-page SEO to your marketing strategy can help you land the top spot on SERPs.
The following off-page SEO checklist will help you in better optimization of your website:
- Register yourself with a directory like Google My Business and update your profile and local citation.
- Improve the site's internal linking.
- Evaluate your backlink profile and check your domain authority for an overall backlink score, using SEO analyzer tools like Google Search Console, On-Page SEO Checker, or Ahrefs.
- Post and promote your content on social media to generate more traffic, shares, and links for free.
- Compare the backlink profile of your competitors with yours to see how you match up.
- Please find all the broken links of your website and fix them.
- Try developing and implementing a link-building strategy, like broken links, social sharing, and paid advertising.
- Promote your content on ad platforms like Google and Facebook. It will help to drive links and will engage your audience, and offer them value.
- Generate more valuable backlinks with guest blogging within your niche. Try to reach out to the blog owner of the same niche and ask to write a post for them.
Top 5 SEO evaluation tools
To carry out an SEO analysis manually is a time-consuming process. No one wants to spend all day and manually note every tactic for the same. However, in this fast-paced world, there are some handy tools available to perform an SEO analysis. These tools provide a clear picture of SEO, ideas to boost SEO and ultimately increase SERP ranking and website traffic.
Why use an SEO analyzer tool?
An SEO analyzer tool helps you see if the applied SEO strategy is working well for the site. There are elements when it comes to SEO, and it is too burdensome to keep track of each element manually. Here the SEO analyzer tools come to the rescue. These SEO analyzer tools can help to:
- Assess site's overall performance
- Fix SEO errors and rank higher in SERPs
- Get more traffic to your site.
- Properly adopt offsite SEO strategies, such as establishing backlinks.
- Identify areas to measure up to competitors and beat competitors.
- Save from tedious keyword research and data analysis.
- Save your efforts and generate accurate reports at a click.
Let us now take a look at the best website SEO tools available:
Ahrefs is one of the best SEO analysis tools and is available in a multipurpose toolkit providing a 360-degree SEO analysis.
Ahrefs' Site Audit tool goes deeper into the site and tests it for more than 110 technical issues, ensuring nothing holds your site in organic rankings. It helps you identify top-performing keywords, discover content gaps that should be addressed, and discloses a lot of valuable insights and critical errors, like 4XX redirects, PPC campaigns, organic keywords, traffic, referring domains, the most shared, linked-to, broken links, and images. It is one of the most loved SEO tools for site owners and assists in fixing site health.
Cost: Seven day trial for $7, then plans to start at $99/month
Top features of Ahrefs:
- Content Explorer: It identifies the common content of any specific subject.
- Content Gap Analysis: The tool compares your site against your competitor's sites and identifies the topics and keywords that need to be targeted. In this way, you can create a suitable content strategy for your website.
- Keywords Explorer: It identifies new keywords based on suggestions, difficulty and showcases domains that currently rank for those keywords.
- Site Audit: It provides a complete detailed report of the website and suggestions to fix any errors and improve the site's performance.
Google Search Console
Formerly known as Google Webmaster Tools, this analyzer tool permits you to look at your website from Google's point of view and helps you with SEO analysis and monitoring tools in just one click. It assists in understanding how Google and its users view your website and help you optimize it for better performance in Google search results. In addition, it monitors the complete performance of the site based on a query, pages, devices, search appearance, and more.
Cost: It's free!!!
Top Features of Google Search Console:
- Links: It reviews the links (both internal and external) present on your site.
- Coverage: It identifies every error on the site that may affect the site's overall performance.
- URL Inspection: It inspects the URLs in your domain and checks the overall performance.
SEMrush is a must-have SEO analyzer tool that is renowned for its detailed domain reports. Its dashboard displays the organic keyword suggestions and traffic plus paid ads keywords and traffic compared to previous periods. It is an all-in-one marketing toolkit, which helps to track, improve, and audit your website.
Cost: Plans starting at $83.28/month (billed annually) or $99.95/month (billed monthly)
Top Features of SEMrush:
Competitor analysis: SEMrush compares the site against its competitor site to get overall performance and ranking insights of keywords (organic and paid both).
- Keyword magic tool: It suggests up to 50 fresh target keywords to use for future content.
- Site audit: It identifies SEO errors present on the site and assists in improving the same.
SEO analysis is very important for the long-term success of your website. First, it will give you the status report to know your kick-off point and plan your SEO strategy. Then, with the help of the right tools and a well-built strategy to conduct the SEO analysis, you can improve the site rankings.
About the author
Dennis Hoinkis has been working as a web developer and in online marketing since 1998. After building up a marketing agency and the exit in 2013, he consulted international groups as a freelance consultant. Since 2022, he and his team now offer staffing services in this field.
Dennis Hoinkis CEO, GLOMASTCO Ltd.